Saturday, August 23, 2014

Hard Candy: Gangsta Booty!

Today I have a vintage Hard Candy circa 1996-1997! It's called Gangsta Booty and it's AMAZING.

Hard Candy was founded in 1995 by two sisters. They're first ever venture into cosmetics was their signature color, Sky, a pastel blue shimmery nail polish. Alicia Silverstone put HC on the map when she wore the color in Clueless, then promoted it on David Letterman. After that, HC blew up and was sold at boutiques and Nordstrom. Known for their edgy colors that were still feminine, HC was incredibly popular in the late 90's. I owned a lot of HC products back then, from their eyeshadow quartets (I still love Techno) to their nail polish with the rubber rings. HC was one of the very first "indie" makeup brands. Along with Urban Decay, they were the only cosmetic brand around that time that pushed the boundaries and came out with colors other brands would never even dream of. All the indie makeup & nail polish brands today should credit Urban Decay and Hard Candy because without them, the indie market wouldn't exist as it is right now.

Unfortunately HC and UD aren't the brands they once were. They've each been sold a few times over and now big chain corporations own them. Hard Candy fell off the map and in 2009 resurfaced, now owned by Falic Fashion group (sold to by Louis Vuitton Moët Hennessy who had owned HC since 1999) who started a new line exclusively with Walmart. The iconic Sky is still available, obviously reformulated, with a bunch of new products. The new Hard Candy bottle is a cylinder and honestly I'm not crazy about them. Nothing can compare to the original line. I've been collecting vintage (first generation) HC and UD since I started collecting polish in 2010. I have a few of the original colors but they're not easy to find. I never thought I'd be able to own Gangsta Booty and yet here I am posting about it!

Gangsta Booty is a gold micro glitter in a clear base. There are millions of tiny gold metallic glitters, and it's so shiny and sparkly. The ring is a gold, sparkly flower. Gangsta Booty is no longer available, and I found mine on eBay along with a few of the super elusive 1996 Christmas colors. I hope you enjoy these vintage posts, because I absolutely love showing off my old polishes!

All photos are taken indoors with artificial light (lightbox) and I didn't use a top coat with this color. I used 3 coats of Gangsta Booty
by itself for full opacity.








No comments:

Post a Comment